Skip to main content

Dealing with couple infertility from a male perspective


June is a month where Fathers Day is celebrated across the board! Everywhere you look and everywhere you go there are reminders to celebrate your Dad and celebrate the privilege of being a Father. However - this day is, for some, a sad and painful reminder that they have not  yet been able to father a child or are battling infertility issues. Did you know that today, one couple out of every six is coping with the challenges of infertility. In approximately 30- 40% of these couples, the infertility is due to a problem on the male side.

Regardless of whether the infertility is due to the male or to their female partner or is unexplained, it is also common for men to experience a range of emotions. These feelings are often unexplained and unexpressed and may lead to behaviors and actions that are misunderstood by others.

Men are sometimes perceived as being unable or unwilling to talk about their feelings and experiences. Pregnancy, childbirth, and parenting are seen as a womenrealm and fertility and medical treatments often focus more specifically on women.

Our society also abounds with images of women as mothers, carers and nurturers much more than those of men as fathers and carers. The voices and thoughts of men are therefore often missed, silent and forgotten.

To fill this void, men who have been through the infertility journey are now starting to write about their experiences and about aspects that they have found to be valuable and supportive.

A summary of some of their ideas are:
   Men may feel a wide range of emotions, including anger, sadness, confusion, anxiety, humiliation, guilt, embarrassment and shame. Such experiences may be due to feeling one or, indeed, many of the following:
   saddened by the loss of their ability to provide for their family- “ I've let my wife down”, “I feel less of a man
   unable to protect their partner & their couple relationship from pain & intense emotions due to the roller coaster of infertility treatment and interventions and ongoing feelings of grief and loss
   full of self doubt with the potential loss of manhood. Questions self- who am I?”- “what is a man?
   sexually inadequate
   a loss of identity – may feel he does not meet cultural, spiritual, family and
   community expectations of himself
   sadness due to the loss of personal dreams and expectations to be a dad
   left out of the loop – as the focus of treatment is mostly on their wife/partner
   isolated – friends & family are getting on with it and having their own children
   powerless with a lack of control – “nothing I do seems to help
   misunderstood – by partner, family, friends, work mates
   lonely- no-one to talk to who really understands and is without judgement
   fearful- I want a child but am afraid it might not happen” “what sort of father will I be if I ever get there?

Tips for men:
   Acknowledge your feelings. Find ways that work for you to deal with strong emotions such as grief, depression, anger e.g. regular exercise, massage.
   Keep up social networks & interests.
   Talk to someone you know will understand
   Gain support. Work out who you can count on for emotional support & use them.
   Find the right people to talk to. Dont be afraid to seek counselling or emotional support- either as a couple or for yourself.
   Acknowledge as a couple, that your individual experiences & responses to infertility & treatment may be quite different from each other – not better, not worse, just different.
   Take control. Work out what you can control and what you cant.
   Nurture your relationship.
   Self care. Pay attention to your physical, mental & psychological well-being.
   Treat yourself. Remember to exercise, nurture yourself with things you love doing, consider relaxation & stress management options, eat well, & find a balance in your day-to-day life choices.
   Look after your own health. Remain aware of your own needs and wants. Supplement your diet with a fertility supplement such as PRELOX FERTILITY which offers a patented combination of Pycnogenol and L’Arginine.
   You and your partner are in this together.
   Try to balance hope with compassion.
   Try and avoid being Mr Fix It. Nurture yourself and your relationship. Listen without having to offer solutions.

For further information visit www.2tostartafamily.co.za or email prelox@lamelle.co.za

Comments

  1. Nice and informative blog,
    If you want the more information about IVF treatment, Click Best IVF centre in Haryana.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Catrice ICONails Gel Lacquer Review and Wear Test

Hi guys. Happy Monday. How was your weekend ?? Today I will be sharing my review on the Catrice ICONails Gel Lacquer . I have worn this quite a few times since buying the product - so I have a pretty good idea how it preforms. The colour I got was a typical Lynette colour - The Catrice ICONails Gel Lacquer in Donut Worry be Happy. This is such a gorgeous fun pink colour. The range does have quite a few colour options - and what I do like about the range is that no top coat is needed. So while I always top coat polish or gel polishes - I didn't when I tested this out. Since I did mention I have worn it quite a few times - I always wore it without top coat. The polish dries amazingly fast - and is dry enough to not make dent marks on it within 20 minutes. Which I think is pretty impressive for a polish without top coat. The brush is on the thicker side - making the polish super easy to apply. I prefer nailpolish brushes like this since it's mostly just one swipe on each

Farm Animals Friday !

Hi guys ! Can't believe its Friday already ! First off, happy birthday to my brother, hope you have a fantastic birthday today ♥ So Tip Top's facebook page, has been running weekly nail art theme competitions. This week's theme is FARM ANIMALS. Well, usually I don't enter these nail art competitions, but since my little man loves farm animals , I decided to give it a go . :) (I also bummed some of his farm animal toys and books as decoration... Hee hee hee ) The rules are you have to use Tip Top colours... So first off let me mention all the colours I used creating these cute farm animals : French Manicure White, Cream Puff, Peach Crisp, Sherbet Angel, Melting Marshmallow, Lemon Fuel, Black Forest , Twilight and Sexy Bikini ♥ So here follows all the cute pics (sorry this post is a little picture heavy ...)   A cow, a piggy, a cow, a duck and a sheep ♥ I just LOVE these cute farm animals don't you ?? My favourite of

CATRICE TREATMENTS SERUM REVIEW

Hi guys! Happy Wednesday. How was your week? I totally lost a day with the public holidays and Easter Weekend threw into the mix ... I was pretty convinced today was actually Tuesday. As I mentioned in my New on my Beauty Desk post in February - I got a few Catrice serums from their new range to try out. In total I picked up the Hydro serum as well - so today I will give you a rundown on the three serums I chose from the range to my routine.  Overall - I have a pretty good idea of which ones I love - which ones are good and which ones I'm not 100% sold on.  CATRICE HYDRO PLUMPING SERUM  This serum contains 1.5 %  hyaluronic acid and panthenol to plumps up the skin as well as have a soothing effect on the skin. Hyaluronic acid is well known to hydrate the skin and absorbs easily into the skin super quickly. I love using Hyaluronic Acid in the morning before applying make-up as it gives me a hydrated base to work with. Honestly, while I did enjoy using this serum - I do prefer the Sw